8.11.2013

My DIY 40k Board is Ready

This isn't my DIY table, although this could be a metaphor for my carpentry skills.

Whew! July went by without a post. I apologize for that, but real life is sometimes insistent on taking priority over 40k and blogging. And it's got to be some unwritten rule that staying away from a blog makes you stay away even more. But I'm back and have a lot to share.

Although July was fraught with danger chores and work responsibilities, it was not without its 40k-related activities. The big news in that regard is that my gaming board has been built. More after the jump.


NOTE: Just so I don't have to keep writing this, click on any picture to enlarge it.

Pardon the picture of my balls. They call me Zero Danger.
So what you see above is my version of the Realm of Battle board by GW. On either side are a pair (4 total) of frames that, when assembled, form the frame for a gaming table. In the middle are eight of these:
This is a 2' X 2' tile. It's upside down to show the strips along the edges that bring the tiles up to the height of the frame's sides. As for the frame itself, well, it's a little hard to photograph and explain. Let me give it a shot.

Each frame interlocks with the next through a notched groove. It's tight enough that they will not shift or come apart without a bit of force. The only downside to this is that each of the 4 frames is unique so they cannot be interchanged, but that also makes it easier to assemble and double-check.
In the above shot, you can see the notched groove. The adjacent frame has the mirror image of this so they interlock.
Don't ask what's in that jug...
Here you can see the two middle frames being ready to be joined. The one of the right will go over the edge on the left. The notch in the previous pic matches the center crossbeam of the left frame. Once assembled, the frame looks like this:


Not bad, huh? Add the 8 tiles, and you get this:
The top is actually cut from a single sheet of plywood, so I could have moved these tiles around and they would form a single grain pattern.
OK, so a few things that need to be noted before you admonish me in the comments.
  • I cannot take credit at all for this build. I had a rough sketch that was much more complicated than this, and I handed it off to my brother in law, who happens to be a veteran carpenter. He took my scribbles and scrapped my physically impossible hinged design and created this elegant joining solution.
  • You're probably wondering why this is eight tiles wide. Two reasons. First, I wanted a place to roll dice and place books, so a regular 4' x 6' game would give each side a 2 x 2 spot...also perfect for an Armies on Parade board. Second, I want to be able to play Apocalypse games.
  • I made the top modular for storage considerations and for alternative tiles.
I've already sanded it smooth. Next steps:
  • Putty the screwheads and add some decorative molding to the frame sides.
  • Add strips of neoprene or felt tot he bottom of the frame since it will be sitting on a ping pong table.
  • Finish the actual playing surface.
  • Cut 8 more 2 x 2 panels for an alternative table.
The first board will be a ruined hive cathedral and grounds. I have a ton of Armorcast and Pegasus buldings. I hope they are stylistically compatible.

What should I do for my next set of eight tiles?

3 comments:

  1. SUPER nice, I love the easy design. I might steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glorious! Can't wait to see the result. How much does it weigh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very light. Each frame piece is probably 2 lbs (about 1 Kilo)

    ReplyDelete