12.09.2011

Utterly Amazing


Every once in a while, I will stumble across some tidbit on the Internet that influences my take on 40k. Sometimes, I'll find something that is compelling enough to share with the community. And then there are very rare occasions where I will repost something from the 40k community because it's just that cool.

[more]




This is one of those times. Check out the Largest Train Set Ever. The pictures in this post are from that video.


Obviously, there are techniques and aesthetics that would be immediately applicable to 40k or any miniatures-based war game. But the thing to really glean from this, in my opinion, is their uncompromising eye for detail.


Of course, there are things to learn about accuracy, weathering, and general realism. There are also obvious lessons here concerning scale and composition, light and shadow, perspective and nuance...


But more significantly, I think this shows a commitment level that a felt tablecloth with three pieces of painted insulation and half-painted sections of a Basilica Administratum does not show. This makes a Sabol manufactoirum or 'Eavy Metal terrain look quick and easy, and the immersive nature of it is readily apparent.

So check out the video, and let me know: even though it would not really affect the gameplay per se, how much do you value playing on a really kickass board? I'm planning one out now, and I'd love to incorporate any great ideas anyone would provide. It will reside in a prominent portion of my cave, so I'm thinking "museum", not "FLGS". All input is welcome!

Also, stay tuned for two giveaway contests next week!

1 comment:

  1. A really nice-looking board adds a lot to a game, but I think it's just as important to have the board be fun to play on- 40K is equal parts game and hobby, so striking a balance between the two is always a priority.

    I like the concept of a really, really impressive fixed board, but I think in reality I would get tired of gaming on the same setup over and over again; I've always been more interested in ways to make things modular, largely for that reason.

    Modelers (as opposed to wargamers)... put insane amounts of time into their work and work on scales that would put any 40K player to shame. I'm impressed by the things many of them can do, but I can't imagine wanting to spend that much time on something that... well, is just going to sit there. But to each his own, obviously.

    ReplyDelete